Monday, August 22, 2011

Dining Room-Step 2


I've been digesting "put it away" for the past week. Even though I'm focusing on this and doing it, there's not much noticable that has changed. That is because it is going to take putting it away to keep things moving along but EXTRA effort to dig out.

I've spent this afternoon with my notebook. I've identified that we need to STOP doing certain things and START doing other certain things. I also need to spend 15 minutes putting things away in the dining room. The kids are putting away their stuff right now while I type.

I noticed dinner is the most special meal. Why can't each meal be "special"? What makes dinner "special"? For dinner, we've gotten in the habit of clearing the table set the table for dinner (since I've been cooking). We clear things off the table and set the table each evening. We don't use water bottles but everyone drinks out of a glass. Why can't we do this for our other meals?

Another thing I've noticed is that the kids read during meals. I tried to get away from this a few months ago, but it is back in full force. Barbie suggested that meals are times for fellowship and sharing life and relating. I'm preparing the kids that we're going to do some things differently around personal reading at the table. I've also let them know that comics are below their reading level and therefore can be read only on weekends (instead of several times a day during meals)!

START: putting things away before each meal
START: setting the table for bfast & lunch
STOP: reading at meals
STOP: putting things on the floor (put them away where they belong)

Within the next hour, the dining room should be cleaned and vacuumed. The storage shelves are another area of focus. That will be next step-and even more complex.

Dining room floor is vacuumed! Tomorrow I'll be working on the storage shelves...photos to follow!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You have yet another blog I get to follow! YAY! YAY! I love reading your stuff!

    I too have realized we need to make changes in doing more than dinner together... I love how you are so specific about adding in "fellowship" as part of your meals...

    Thanks for sharing all you are working through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy. Barbie made the point that meals are not only for eating but fellowship, so I put that on there to remind me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...