Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dining Room-Step 3 Bookshelf (Before)






So, using the same method as I used on the rest of the room, I ask "What Do I See" in the bookshelf? (WDIS)
-library books are stored in a stack in front of the bookshelf. Bookshelf, that word sounds like a shelf that holds books. But MY bookshelf is crammed full of everything else and there's no place for the books!
-read aloud books
-homeschool curriculum
-papers
-binders
-boxes for art, painting, drawing, sewing
-lifestyle of learning binders, notes
-spelling books, ruler
-construction paper, blank drawing paper
-dictionary, reference books
-bibles, medical information folder
-box for bread/food that doesn't fit in kitchen
-storage kitchen appliances (vitamix, indoor grill, crockpot)
-John's books, folders, mp3 converter, lightbulbs
-pencils, pens

There are 25 cubbies and I've made a graph of the 5x5 shelf and written what is in each box (in general). I've circled the ones which are simply storing junk. Since this is prime real estate, I need to move the junk into storage (or give away) to make room for other things we use on a daily basis (library books!?!)

I'm completely happy with TWO cubbies (2 down, 23 to go!) One cubbie near the floor holds my crockpot. I use this at least once a week and having it here makes it easy to get at. Our kitchen is sooooo silly...all the cupboards have an opening of about 7"...and, uh, a crockpot won't fit ANYWHERE in my kitchen. Thankfully, I have the IKEA Expedit nearby to save the day!

The other cubbie I use everyday. It holds math curriculum, my netbook, a striped recipe style box of greeting cards (in the back) and two upright magazine boxes (only $5 from Target, very durable, lightweight, love them!). In the black one, I put all our playing cards. We like to play card games after dinner, so stashed inside for easy access are UNO, Monopoly card game, cribbage, Mille Bornes, Old Maid, dice for Yahtzee and typical playing cards. I love that the recipe style box which I bought at least 10 years ago has the same colors and matches the rest of the shelf including the magazine box and the netbook cover...oooooooh, I LOVE COLOR and that warms the cockles of my cockles everytime I see it! :)

The turquoise box contains everything we need to write a thank you note. Colored felt tip pens, blank notecards, thank you notecards and stamps. Inside a plastic page protector, I have my favorite black felt tip pen and a piece of paper. On one side of the paper are all our family addresses. The other side shows a mock thank you note to help the kids as they write their thank you notes. I've been wanting to have a "thank you note kit" for YEARS and years but have never put one together until recently. We've used it at least 10 times in the past few weeks for various things!

I have 23 cubbies to go. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...