Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Kitchen - BEFORE


I already have a few good systems in place but received wisdom about the sections of counter. I'm making a "map" of the counter space and sectioning it into "zones". I need to decide what I actually do in each zone. And I think having smaller zones will help me focus on keeping each zone looking like it should.

There are a few problem areas (like the fact that the only cutting board is right under the microwave which is right under the spices-high traffic!) but this blog isn't really about how I solve problem areas. More just documenting my process of cleaning up and keeping my house clean.

WDIS: garbage, food that can be put away, spills not cleaned up, crumbs, pb&j not in its' place, lots of dirty dishes (this is somewhat unusual because I do run a load of dishes every night before bed), blender not put away, dinner cooking (!), small cutting board (complete with paring knife and half an apple), half full water bottles, camping leftovers, snak pak leftovers, new snak pak containers, diet food boxes, non-functioning lamp, 5lbs bag of flour, dirty spoon rest (which is just a glass, but works great as a spatula rest!), food not put away from grocery trip, cans of soup and diced tomatoes, roll of tape, supplies for home business, puzzle never put away, cornstarch not put away in cupboard, spills on floor, toys on floor, recycle items that never made it to the can, tums, eeegads!

I can tell there's going to be a lot going on in this room for awhile. I'll be thinking about:
-what I don't put away and why
-garbage control
-quirky things about my kitchen and how to solve
-how to keep it clean/daily maintenance (like the dining room)
-what makes the floor dirty and how to keep clean
-how to make things easy to put away
-storage vs things I use all the time
-considering cleaning the refrigerator door of all photos and stuff for a sleek look
-finish reading "Reclaim Your Life" by Vicki Norris
-consider using counter space for different things (move where I make sandwiches, for example)

So there you have it...the ugly. Not the good or the bad, really just the ugly! My kitchen is not a safe or peaceful room...I'm looking forward to making (and keeping) it that way, though. Stay tuned!

UPDATE 10/04/2011: Kitchen "After" Photos are Here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...