Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tidy LEGOs!

There are many different ways Lego fans organize and catalog their Legos, in fact Flickr has some great photos of massive collections. I've been encouraging Daniel to organize his Legos into some kind of system but he hasn't initiated anything in that direction (one huge box would work for me). I've come to realize, he doesn't know where to start or how to tackle such a monumental task (sound familiar)?! But something very interesting has been going on in our home each evening for a couple days now...John has been standing at Daniel's countertop over the past week SORTING through his Legos...just on his own, quietly collecting plastic containers and putting all the "like" bricks together...all the 2x1s together, all the 2x6s together, all the 2x2s, etc. I kept thinking Dan should organize his bricks by color...and when John said to organize them by shape, I thought that would be too many containers...but it is WORKING!

What is working is DANIEL! He has been drawn to this "tidy" area and because he can see the pieces, he's been BUILDING! And then the lightning bolt idea...

WHY NOT put Sarah's and Daniel's Legos TOGETHER and have one big LEGO play station!?

See Daniel standing there with the little containers? He's able to see them AND he has an area to build...this countertop is 8' long

AND GUESS WHAT?

it would be PERFECT in the SUNROOM!!!!!!!!

(I think John suggested this not too long ago but I nixed the idea).

Combining Legos would be a great idea for many reasons, one is that they would probably start to collaborate on designs and building and if not, that's ok. The reason we want the wrap around desk which I talked about on Monday (here) is mainly a place to store and play with Legos. The countertop has the benefit of being FREE! And it is only 10 feet from where I would need to move it AND it is already proven to be used in this way. I like the backsplash which would keep the containers from falling off the back of the flat surface.

I think I'm going to see if it will work.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for sorting lego. We currently have ours in a big box that gets carted around from room to room and then Dougal has a couple of smaller boxes with his own personal lego. It sure is hard to keep track of all the little bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...